Get in Touch
Indiscriminate and opportunistic targeting.
Severity level: Critical – Flaw can enable unauthenticated users to conduct malicious remote code execution.
Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS): 9.3.
Fortinet has released patches to counter a known zero-day critical vulnerability that affects FortiOS SSL-VPN products. If the vulnerability remains unpatched, the flaw can allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code or commands via specifically crafted requests.
Reported by Fortinet, there is at least one known instance of this vulnerability being executed in the wild.
The vulnerability is described as a heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability that is being tracked as CVE-2022-42475.
Successful CVE-2022-42475 exploitation will likely result in the threat actor executing remote codes and commands, allowing them to crash critical systems remotely.
The FortiOS product versions vulnerable to this CVE are listed below.
- FortiOS version 7.2.0 through 7.2.2
- FortiOS version 7.0.0 through 7.0.8
- FortiOS version 6.4.0 through 6.4.10
- FortiOS version 6.2.0 through 6.2.11
- FortiOS-6K7K version 7.0.0 through 7.0.7
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.4.0 through 6.4.9
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.2.0 through 6.2.11
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.0.0 through 6.0.14
Containment, Mitigations & Remediations
To remove the threat posed against business systems, customers are advised to patch FortiOS products to at least the following level:
- FortiOS version 7.2.3 or above
- FortiOS version 7.0.9 or above
- FortiOS version 6.4.11 or above
- FortiOS version 6.2.12 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 7.0.8 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.4.10 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.2.12 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.0.15 or above
Indicators of Compromise
Associated CVE-2022-42475 IPs and ports:
Associated CVE-2022-42475 hashes:
Vulnerabilities such as this are constantly being developed and exploited, and it is up to the cyber security industry to ensure that every effort is being made to mitigate threats. Due to the scale of potential gaps in system security infrastructure, it is almost certain that these threats will continue to develop year on year.
No threat actors or groups have been associated with this vulnerability.
FortiGuard Labs – CVE-2022-42475